Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 11, 2012

Family,

Alright Dad, I don't think I understood your cryptic message. Unless of course you meant to use capital letters, then I will try my best but I have a clock to keep up with so forgive me if I don't. Thanks for all of your letters! I love reading about home, it breaks up the days a little. Well, this week started off awesome! For Easter Elder Boyd K. Packer came and spoke. We had sacrament meeting all together in the gym and he spoke to us. It was a pretty incredible experience to partake of the sacrament with so many missionaries who are willing to serve. And then on top of that partake of it in the presence of the President of the 12 Apostles was awesome in the true sense of the word. For the devotional on Sunday the BYU mens choir came and sang. It was nice just to sit back and enjoy the spirit of the meeting. After devotional we have the opportunity to watch a church movie or a devotional. My companion and I chose to go to a devotional given by Elder Bednar about the "Character of Christ." His message was so simple and understandable but really insightful. I loved it. It helped to rethink the way I do things and the reason behind them. Sunday was just an incredibly spiritual day and I loved every second of it.

Monday on the other hand was rather rough. We had another lesson with our investigator and we invited him to be baptized. We had talked about it before and he said he was interested if he knew it was true, but this time he just started speaking like he was frustrated and told us that if he did get baptized his family would disown him. I didn't know what to do so I just said I’m sorry, and then bore my testimony. We prayed and then left. Usually he would stand up and shake our hands but he just stayed sitting and told us to leave. I am sure this is great preparation for the field but I just had no idea how to deal with it. I actually still don't know what to do...The rest of the day I was just in a funk. My Russian was like the first day all over again. Gross.

This week our teachers have challenged us to memorize the first vision in Russian. I just don't really know how to memorize in Russian, but I guess I will try! I just feel like I am memorizing sounds rather than a really powerful passage of scripture. I have until next Friday so I guess we will see how I do.

Dad, thanks for keeping me updated on RSL. I kind of forget that there are normal things going on outside of the world of the MTC. I am excited for you to go to Capitol Reef! Take some pictures and then mail them to me. I haven't ever been there so I don't know what it looks like. Also, does Kurt retiring mean that you will be working with someone else or that you will just work more closely with your boss in Denver?

Mom, Thanks for the socks, you're a life saver. Also the chapstick thing is genius! I gave the other one to another sister. If you have any free time 2 other sisters in my district would like one. Also, for packing purposes those bags I got from Denny would be great, so sometime before I leave if you could send those that would be great. I think they are in my dresser. Also, if you haven't gone to get that other journal I asked for don't worry about it, with the red one you sent I should be great.

Well, I can't really remember what else happened. We go to class every day. Study a lot...I suppose we are learning quickly it just feels like we are struggling a lot. We don't really have any language class, our teachers teach us how to teach using preach my gospel and will teach us a grammar principle and some phrases to help us. Most of our Russian is left up to us though. We build our vocabulary and attempt to apply the grammar we know. But most of it is not teacher facilitated. I mean, we can ask questions. I think we were all surprised how little time is spent learning Russian, but I guess it works...I don't know. It's just frustrating teaching because even IF I understand I usually have no way to explain the answer to them. I guess I will get better.

Have a great week! Have fun in Capitol Reef! Remember take some pictures! I love you all so much!

Love, Sister Pearce

No comments:

Post a Comment